Everybody’s doing coconut, right? Not like this…
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – March 6, 2017
A new plant-based jerky that taps into consumer demand for an alternative to the popular meat-based snack combines coconut with a high-quality plant-based protein blend and will be introduced at Natural Products Expo West (NPEW) March 9-12 in Anaheim, California.
“Consumers are looking for snacks that are both healthy and satiating,” noted Bioriginal President Joe Vidal. “Coconut jerky was created with that in mind. We took an ingredient consumers trust and love – coconut – and combined it with other popular plant-based proteins like pumpkin and faba bean, to create a snack food that is portable and tasty.”
Bioriginal’s coconut jerky offering is not only plant-based and suitable for vegetarian and vegan lifestyles, but is gluten-free and a good source of protein.
According to market research firm IRI, the jerky market is a nearly $1.5 billion industry in the United States. The report noted sales were up by 13 percent since 2013, and by 46 percent since 2009.1
Today, jerky continues to be embraced by consumers as a convenient, high protein snack. A report by market research firm Euromonitor found that jerky outsells seeds, party mixes, and pita chips – combined.
Bioriginal will also introduce its new 100% coconut derived MCT powder which boasts a higher MCT oil load than others on the market. Previews at NPEW will be available through appointments that can be booked through firstname.lastname@example.org
“MCT powder is the next generation of coconut fueled energy,” Vidal said. “These two products represent the evolution of coconut.”
# # #
Bioriginal is a global leader in delivering complete nutritional solutions to the food and nutraceutical industries. They are headquartered in Saskatoon, Canada with facilities throughout the U.S., in Europe and Asia. Bioriginal is the Human Nutrition Division of Omega Protein Corporation.
To learn more or to arrange an interview please contact:
Bioriginal, Marketing Communications Manager
Jerky and snack market at a glance:
- A recent report by market research firm Euromonitor found that jerky outsells seeds, party mixes, and pita chips—combined.1
- The market for jerky has ballooned into a nearly $1.5 billion industry in the United States. Sales are up by 13 percent since 2013, and by 46 percent since 2009, according to data from market research firm IRI.2
- “The global market for savory snacks is expected to grow from US$94.5 billion in 2015 to US$138.2 billion by 2020, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.9 percent, according to market data from Canadean”1
- “Why beef jerky, the manly, protein-packed snack, has become so damn popular.” The Washington Post, 30 January 2015, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/30/why-beef-jerky-the-manly-protein-packed-snack-has-become-so-damn-popular/?utm_term=.96d9d44161bc
- “Global Savory Snacks Market to Reach $138 Billion by 2020.” Natural Products Insider, 7 September 2016, https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/blogs/food-beverage-perspectives/2016/09/global-savory-snacks-market-to-reach-138-billion.aspx
*Please contact Bioriginal’s business development team for detailed information on specifications.
Our business offices:
102 Melville Street
Canada S7J 0R1
Telephone: (306) 975-1166
1851 Kaiser Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614
Telephone: (949) 622-9030
3258 AC Den Bommel
Phone: +31 (0)187 618 020
Download press release in PDF format:
Everybody’s doing coconut right? Not like this…