Echium oil is a natural, plant based oil offering an unique combination Omega 3, 6 and 9.
Echium plantagineum is a species of Echium, a genus of the borage family of plants, native to western and southern Europe, northern Africa and southwestern Asia. It is a plant with beautiful purple flowers. The seeds of the Echium plant contain Echium oil with an unique fatty acid profile, a combination of Omega 3 and Omega 6 and 9 in natural form. Echium oil contains typically 13% SDA, 32% ALA, 12% GLA. Echium Plantagineum is cultivated for Bioriginal under contract by selected growers in Europe.
For more information on Bioriginals refined Echium oil please visit: BioMegaSDA
GLA: When we consume GLA, it increases our body’s production of two hormone-like compounds called prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) and hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (15-HETrE). These compounds are responsible for lowering swelling and inflammation seen in a number of health conditions, improving skin health, heart health, women’s health and arthritic conditions. GLA consumption can also play a role in weight management.
- Skin Health: GLA helps maintain a healthy glow by restoring moisture and smoothness to dry or damaged skin. It alleviates inflammation and itchiness seen in skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis. GLA also lowers skin moisture loss experienced as we age.
- Cardiovascular Health : GLA improves cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure induced by high stress situations. As well, it may lower swelling and plaque formation in the arterial walls.
- Women’s Health: GLA improves pre-menstrual and menopausal symptoms such as mood health and breast sensitivity.
- Joint Health: GLA lowers symptoms seen in arthritic conditions and osteoporosis due to its anti-inflammatory effects.
- Weight Management: GLA helps prevent weight regain.
Echium seeds are sown in well-drained soil and seedlings appear in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. The plant grows to a height of 1 to 3 feet and grows well in temperatures between 15°C to 18°C. When the plant matures, the echium oil is extracted from the collected seeds.