Hempseeds have been cultivated for over 12,000 years by many civilizations for its beneficial nutrients. In the 1990s, during mass starvation in Africa, charitable organizations such as the Red Cross used hempseeds to cook porridge for nourishment. Hempseeds are a good source of omega-3, omega-6, protein and fiber. These nutrients improve skin health, cardiovascular health, joint health, women’s health, cognitive function, eye health and can support weight loss. Bioriginal offers roasted hempseeds, hulled hempseeds, hempseed protein powder and hempseed oil.
GLA: When we consume GLA, it increases our body’s production of two hormone-like compounds called prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) and hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (15-HETrE). These compounds are responsible for lowering swelling and inflammation seen in a number of health conditions, improving skin health, heart health, women’s health and arthritic conditions. GLA consumption can also play a role in weight management.
- Skin Health: GLA helps maintain a healthy glow by restoring moisture and smoothness to dry or damaged skin. It alleviates inflammation and itchiness seen in skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis. GLA also lowers skin moisture loss experienced as we age.
- Cardiovascular Health : GLA improves cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure induced by high stress situations. As well, it may lower swelling and plaque formation in the arterial walls.
- Women’s Health: GLA improves pre-menstrual and menopausal symptoms such as mood health and breast sensitivity.
- Joint Health: GLA lowers symptoms seen in arthritic conditions and osteoporosis due to its anti-inflammatory effects.
- Weight Management: GLA may help prevent weight regain.
ALA: This omega-3 fatty acid supports a wide range of health benefits including menopausal health, heart health, arthritis, cognitive function and brain development and healthy vision.
- Menopausal Health: Women experience hot flashes due to the dilation and contraction of blood vessels that cause changes in body temperature. ALA lowers these vasomotor properties, reducing the frequency and severity of hot flashes.
- Regulate Heartbeat: ALA stabilizes our heart rhythm at the gene level, helping prevent conditions such as arrhythmia.
- Triglyceride Levels: ALA decreases triglyceride levels, lowering our risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Arthritic Conditions: ALA lowers inflammation and joint stiffness experienced in arthritis.
- Bone Density: ALA can increase calcium absorption and buildup in bones.
- Brain development: As ALA gets converted into DHA after consumption, it not only aids in brain development but also protects our nerve cells from damage.
- Cognitive Function: ALA plays a significant role in boosting our memory and learning ability; enhancing overall cognitive function.
- Healthy Vision: ALA promotes healthy retinal function and slows progressions of age-related macular degeneration, a condition that arises from the wear and tear of the retina, usually affecting individuals over the age of 50.
Fiber: Studies show that consuming fiber can support digestive health and increase absorption of vitamins and minerals in our body. It can help regulate blood sugar levels, lower serum cholesterol and reduce excess blood fats – providing protection against heart disease. Fiber can also support weight loss as it can make a person feel full quicker and stay satiated for longer.
Protein: This macronutrient supports muscle repair and growth, healthy immune response, maintains blood sugar balance and active metabolism, and promotes satiety.
Hempseeds are sown in spring, 4 to 6 centimeters below the soil. Hemp plants require soil that’s well drained to grow into tall, slender plants with long fibers. They take 3 to 4 months to mature and are harvested before the crop starts flowering to obtain hempseeds.
- GLA’s impact on patients experiencing atopic dermatitis. Read more
- GLA’s role in improving smoothness of skin. Read more
- GLA’s impact on cholesterol. Read more
- GLA lowers blood pressure. Read more
- ALA can lower risk of coronary heart disease. Read more
- GLA improves symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis. Read more
- ALA improves symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis. Read more